Thursday, November 19, 2009

Windows 7 Does Not Save Window Size or Position Settings

This is as good a reason as any to AVOID buying a computer with Windows 7.  Buy a Mac instead.

In Windows XP and earlier we could set the size, position, and other details of an explorer window, then close the window, and from then on a window with that path would have that same size, position, and details.  Windows Vista retained that function, but occasionally "forgot" everything, so we had to reset every window again.

Windows 7 remembers NOTHING!  Actually, it seems to know only the size and position of the last-used explorer window, even if it isn't closed yet, so all new windows will have that size and will fall of top of that window.  As a result, almost every newly-opened explorer window must be resized and repositioned, resulting in many more mouse-clicks and moves than ever before.

According to remarks on two different forums, by people who may know, this is a deliberate change by Microsoft, not an accident.  It's a feature, not a bug.  If so, then Microsoft solves their little problems by simply eliminating the feature that has the problem!

But it sure doesn't work for me.  I often work with multiple windows open, copying files from here to there or whatever.  I HATE HAVING TO FIX WINDOWS ALL THE TIME.

I've never used a Mac, but people keep saying that it's better in some way.  Maybe I'm starting to catch on.

FOR GOD'S SAKE BUY A MAC!

I haven't returned my brand-new HP laptop to HP yet, but I'm sure leaning that way.

No comments: